Join me in my journey to live better for less

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

It's Time for a Little Change...


In the past I've saved change in a jar or container of some sort and cashed it in when it was full, or when I needed a few extra dollars to make ends meet. I've decided to start doing that faithfully to see how much I can save. I'll of course, add this to my emergency fund savings. I recall filling a jar and it was over $80 when finally cashed in.. that's a nice little chunk of change right there.


I'm going to take this one step further and save all of my one dollar bills as well. I got this idea from "The Dollar Bill Challenge". I really have no idea how much I could save but we'll see. With our budget as tight as it is right now, I'm not sure if I'll put all the savings from the dollar bills toward the emergency fund or see if I have enough to pay a bill and then save whatever is left. We'll see how it goes.

This will only be effective if I cut back on using the debit card. What I'm planning to do is use the debit card when I make my main household purchases such as toilet paper, shampoo, toothpaste and such but get cash back with the transaction. I can't stand the thought of wasting a few of my hard earned dollars on ATM machine fees. As of right now, there's no charge for getting cash back so that's the best option for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment